At Villa Medica, the Social Worker’s role is to facilitate the patient’s reintegration into society, with all of the challenges presented by their illness or disability. The Social Worker liaises with the treatment team, the family and the available community resources.
The Social Worker’s role is to:
- educate the clinical team on the patient’s environment
- encourage family and friends to take part in the rehabilitation process
- organize the discharge planning based on the patient’s needs, in collaboration with friends and family
- liaise, if necessary, with various institutions and community resources that may be involved in the reintegration process at home or elsewhere
- find out which programs the patient can use and has access to
- provide housing assistance, if necessary